Thursday, September 1, 2011

you should see the other guy (that's what his daddy said)

Last night we were invited to dinner at our friend Andrea's house. I love getting together with friends, even if sometimes I would rather just make up an excuse not to go, I always feel great while we are there and afterwards. 

Elliott and Harlo (Andrea's daughter) were playing outside, and we ended up at the ER with Elliott. 

I knew something wasn't right when an ice cream cone couldn't make him stop crying. He couldn't move his arm at the elbow, and it started to swell up. I thought at worst it was dislocated and would need re-positioned.
After 3 hours at the ER, we had this. A broken arm.
A big dose of ibuprofen and his big brother playing with him, he was all smiles again. 
Here is the fracture. I'm not a Dr, but I was told that little line is it. Not too bad right? 
WRONG! 
I called the bone doctor (I'm sure there is a technical term for that) this morning like I was told. I was also told that it would probably be about a week before he would have a hard cast in order to let the swelling go down. 

When the bone doctor's office called back, they asked if I could bring him in today. "Uh, yeah, I guess so."

So he got more x-rays, and this time he was so brave. He set in the chair all by himself, talked to the tech, and didn't cry at all. 
Then the Dr told me, "It's a (yada-yada insert big words here) lateral fracture. It's serious, and if it moves it will be bad." So he had to get a cast today. 
He picked out his own colors and sat very still. He's such a big kid sometimes. 
Now we have to go back in a week, get this cast cut off, take more x-rays, and hopefully no re-setting, and just another cast.
Orange with blue stripes. He can't wait to show Ethan. 
He's pretty frustrated with his lack of the use of his arm, but he's getting by. 

I was kind of embarrassed last night to say that my 2 year old, who rides a bike with no training wheels, pops wheelies on the scooter, and tries to be a 7 year old, fell off of this 2 foot tall slide and broke his arm. 
However, when Elliott saw this picture this morning, I said "that's the slide you fell off of.", he informed me "I didn't fall, I jumped from right there!" and pointed to the very top of the slide. This is a much more believable story. He's not a clumsy kid, but he is definitely a dare devil. Something tells me this isn't his last broken bone. :) 

1 comment: