Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Loon Lake

After some convincing from a certain someone, I decided to pack up the boys and join some other military families at Loon Lake (middle of nowhere Montana) for a camping weekend. 

The drive there was amazingly beautiful, and I was able to just free my mind of the real world. The boys were good, considering the amount of time they had already been in the car from our trip to Sheridan. 
After checking in, I let the boys pick the cabin. It was our little home away from home, and it was perfect. 
After packing all our stuff from the car to the cabin, we went for a walk to see the lake. I don't know how to explain it. It was so serene. Elliott looked right at me and said "MOM! I need a boat!"
Almost immediately, the boys picked up rocks and started throwing them into the lake. I really don't know why we have toys and things at home. All we really need is a lake and some rocks. 
Friday night was spent getting to know everyone, and with a motivational speaker. It was really late when we got back to the cabin. I forgot how much I dislike sleeping in a sleeping bag. Haha.

Saturday morning was rainy, but we made do, and had a survival skills class in the lodge. Even Elliott got to make his own survival kit. 
Tyler, the boy scout that he is, was in heaven! He knew a lot of the stuff, but was able to learn some new things too. He was also able to help Ethan out. 
They even got a striker, and got to start their own fires. Rather than fight Elliott, I let him try, and much to my surprise, he caught right on. He was so proud of himself.  
He felt like such a big boy. 
After lunch, Elliott needed to take a rest (and so did I), so we borrowed a portable DVD player (I know, this was far from "roughing it"), and we both took a good nap. 

We woke up to sunshine and warm weather. Everyone was at the lake (and had been for most of the afternoon), so we joined them. Elliott wanted to go out in the boats but wasn't too excited about the life jacket. :) 
I took the boys out on the paddle boat. This was my failed attempt at a self portrait on the boat. 
Luckily, I was able to hand off the camera and we got this. Proof I really was there. :) 
Then everyone (those who wanted) decided to have their own "Polar Bear Plunge". Ethan joined in. He's the one in the red shorts and life jacket at the bottom of the picture.  
Brrrrrrrr! It was cold, but they all played in the water for a little while. Even Tyler jumped in.  
Miss Sara and Tyler took Ethan and Elliott for a canoe ride.  
Then Ethan and 2 other boys his age took the paddle boat out all by themselves. 
After dinner, it was campfire time. We also got to watch them lower the flag and "Taps" was played for us.  
Sunday was our last day. We got to print out some of our pictures, and hang out a little more. The boys were so good for me, and the bigger boys were a huge help. 
It really was a great weekend, and I cannot wait for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment