Monday, December 21, 2009

Alvin and the WHAT?!?!?

Last night, Ethan and I were watching t.v. and a commercial for the new Alvin and the Chipmunks movie came on. Ethan has a new habit of replacing words with other words that don't even make sense. It drives me crazy. Next thing I know Ethan says "Alvin and the Dickheads". What? I thought I heard him wrong and made him repeat himself several times, to the point he looked at me like I was dumb and very plainly said "DICKHEADS". Yep. Exactly what I thought he had said, and usually if he thinks he has said a bad word (rarely this happens) he will not repeat it for me, so I knew he had no clue what he had just said. I asked him where he heard it, and he wouldn't say. I don't necessarily consider dickhead to be a swear word. I have a very large vocabulary of them (I'm not bragging) but I prefer and usually only use 4-letter ones. I would agree that it's not a nice word to say, and definitely not one I would like to hear coming from a 6 year olds mouth, but I can come up with a lot of worse things he could have said. So, he wasn't in trouble, he obviously didn't know that it was a bad word, but after I explained to him why he shouldn't say it, he was upset that he used it. He really is a good kid, and it's so funny to me when something like this happens and he is devastated about his actions, even if he really didn't know what he was saying was inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment