Saturday, August 13, 2011

hockey camp recap

When I picked up Ethan at camp on Wednesday, his coach quickly caught us and said "Did you tell your mom what you won today?" Ethan is still very shy, and wouldn't tell me while others were listening, so his coach had to tell me. Ethan won the 212 award for the day! The 212 is given to the kid who puts in the extra work that day, and gives his all. I was so proud of him. While we always expect him to work hard and get the most out of his experiences, it's also very nice to get great feedback from coaches. 

Let me tell you, this kid knows how to play his mom. After we talked to the coach for a minute, Ethan asked if he could get a t-shirt and shorts from the camp. How could I say "no"? Well played Ethan. 

The next day was special for him since he was the 212 winner. Here he is before practice in his Northern Edge Hockey garb. What the hell kind of smile is that? 
He got to wear the coveted 212 winner jersey. 
Elliott and I stayed to get some pictures for Jason. Elliott was less than impressed and kept fake shivering and telling me he was freezing. 
Ethan also got to be first on the ice.
Then got "knucks" from everyone as they came on.
Then as the others stomped their feet and hit their sticks on the ice to the tune of "We Will Rock You", he got to take a victory lap.
As he came back around, he did the "rifle" celebration. Of course the coach skated right in front of what would have been the ideal picture for this. 
But you get the idea.
He also got to lead the stretches with the coach.
And be the first to do their drill.
I love watching him work. It always amazes me. 
We didn't stay all day, but he said he had a really great day.
One of the coaches asked that we color Ethan's hair for at least one day since he had been telling them all about how his hair normally looks. So Thursday night, we went to Sally's and they had orange! Ethan has been asking for orange since we started doing fun colors. He was so excited. So Friday morning, he looked like this.
Friday afternoon, they had their final scrimmage and all the parents got to come watch. Elliott watched for a while, but had more fun running around. 
(This could possibly be my new favorite picture. I love my iPhone.)
He got to be an Assistant Captain (note the "A" on his jersey). 
Someday I won't have to say "He's the shortest one in the picture". :)
I love that the teams were made up of all the age groups. It was such a fun game to watch.
Ready!
He's getting physical. He threw some elbows.
And took some elbows too.
His team didn't win, but it was 8-9 in overtime. They all had a great time.
I'm so glad he went. He learned a lot and had a ton of fun. 
He's already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment