Monday, August 1, 2011

trip 3, Louisville KY for me

On the 24th, my dad and I got up and were out the door by 3am. Yes, 3am! He dropped me off at the Phoenix airport, and my terrible day began. I won't go into detail, but it started with me leaving my cell phone (my whole life) in his pickup and not noticing until he was long gone. I had to ask a very nice lady in line to use her phone, and because I live by my phone I don't know any one's number but my own, so luckily it was on, my dad answered, and was able to drive back and get it to me. Whew. But yes, that was only the beginning. 

On the way, during my time spent stuck in the Chicago airport, I was able to meet several great ladies who were also attending the National Guard National Volunteer Conference. It made the time go much faster, and it was nice to have some familiar faces when I was at the conference. 

Here is our group, representing Montana. Let me tell you, even if my opinion is a little biased, we are an amazing group of people. :) I am so fortunate to know these people have my back, and they made the week so much fun for me. 
Tuesday night, we made history. We (a few thousand of us) were the first people to attend a USO concert at home (in the USA). Montgomery Gentry are actually from Louisville, and they put on an amazing show for us. We are all family members, service members and spouses, so during some moments, eyes were filled with tears of pride, but for the most part, our faces looked like this. 
It wasn't all fun and games though. We sat through several hours a day of teachings. My brain is bursting with ideas, and new things to bring back to my group. So while I am still in Phoenix having a great time, I can't wait to get back home and get to work. 

P.S. Louisville is not a word, it is a sound. No one who lives there actually pronounces it as a word. It made me laugh every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment