Thursday, June 3, 2010

frugal and fun

After school today, Ethan, Elliott and Jason sat and colored together. Unfortunately the boys' attitudes went downhill from there, and we called it an early night for Elliott.
Since tomorrow is Ethan's last day, I asked him what he would like to get his teacher (she's awesome), and he said a bracelet. Well we are on an extremely tight budget, so I told him to pick out some beads (because I own thousands). I love what he chose, and of course when you are six, there is really only one way to put it together. A pattern of one than the other.  :) I really hope she likes it.
Again, with the budget, I refuse to spend money on a card when I own at least 100 stamps, and hundreds of pieces of paper. So I made this.
Nothing says "thank you" like a one-of-a-kind handmade card. I guess it either says "thanks" or "look how broke we are". Not too shabby though.
And lastly, when you are being frugal, even boxes are too expensive. So, I went back into my scrapping supplies (yes, I do own some Jaymee) and pulled out the computer for some how-to instructions on paper boxes. You know, like the ones you had to learn to make in 5th(ish) grade.
I have to say, if someone put this much time into a gift for me, I would cherish every bit. Plus, I feel totally Martha Stewart and so proud of myself for saving every penny I could.
So next time you need a gift for someone, dig deep, and I mean really deep. Think of something you already have that you can use (UPCYCLE) into something really great. It will mean so much more than something off the shelf, and it won't cost you a thing.

2 comments:

  1. dude. am I rubbing off on you or what!? Just kidding, you're just as clever if not more clever than I am in the "upcycle" department. So proud of you right now. Excellent work, I'm sure she'll love it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas!!! I think this is an awesome gift and I am sure Ethan's teacher will love it! Our kindergarten graduation was today. I wanted to cry they are so cute. So fun. Way to go Ethan!

    ReplyDelete