Sunday, February 27, 2011

tournament recap

This weekend was the Squirt B tournament in Butte. For more info on that see the end of this post. It was so much fun to see just how great these kids play. Note: 1) The following pictures were taken in the hockey rink, so they are less than perfect. 2) Ethan is wearing jersey #20, yellow laces, white face mask. 

Ethan played his favorite position all weekend. Defense. And he did amazing. I love watching him play.

The Squirts looked so big compared to our kids, especially Ethan. Check out this post for a good comparison. Ethan didn't even notice the size difference, and played just like he was playing any other game.
While watching the games is always my favorite part, the kids just want to get back to the hotel to go swimming. :)  
Elliott was SO good for me all weekend. He really wanted to go swimming, but I didn't bring my suit, so he just played on the side. He was still happy. 
The two games on Friday were tough. Our kids played great and only allowed 3 and 4 goals, but didn't score one for themselves. Saturday morning was a different story. They still lost, but they got 3 goals. It was so exciting to see them be competitive at the higher level. 
Ethan worked so hard. I couldn't be more proud of him. 
Here is another comparison of the size difference. This is our goalie. Note his shoulders are not even at the crossbar. 
Here is their goalie. I think he has meals bigger than our kids are.  
Another picture of Ethan working the blue line.  
I was so excited to catch this shot (somewhat in focus). I know you are thinking it looks like the other 15 you posted. Look again. His feet are in the crossover position. This is HUGE for Ethan. It wasn't until last season that his legs were even long enough to make this happen with his gear on, and now to see him doing it without thinking is so awesome.  
They only had one game (at 7:45am) on Saturday, so I had to fill up the rest of the day. This was not as easy as it sounds. They went swimming for a little while, then Ethan went with some of his teammates to cheer on our Squirts while Elliott napped. After that, I took the boys to go bowling. It was so fun! They both really enjoyed it. 
Elliott loved watching the ball pop up.  
And Ethan, being the best big brother ever, helped Elliott set up the ball and push it down the lane. Elliott cheered and clapped every time.  
Ethan was exhausted Saturday night and asleep by 8:00. He didn't even want to go swimming.

Sunday morning, they played for last and second to last place. We knew they had a good chance of winning this game if they wanted it bad enough.  
And they did it!
4-2. The goalie got a well deserved "Dog Pile". (can you pick out Ethan?) 
Then they got their trophy and their certificates. I had to share this because Ethan is spraying snow on the guy handing him his certificate. He is pretty proud of himself for being able to spray snow, and works really hard on getting it higher and higher.  
This has to be the best picture ever. The kids were so excited to have a win. 
Then they got their "Way to go" speech from the coaches. I love how intently Ethan listens to them. 
We had a great weekend, and I have to say that Elliott getting older is making hockey travel a lot easier on me.

I'm already missing hockey, and it hasn't even been over for one whole day. I can't wait for October, and I mean that.

No comments:

Post a Comment