Friday, April 23, 2010

they are who they are.

An 18 month check up for Elliott is how I started my day. Normally this is not a challenge, but as he has gotten older, the less he likes being around people he doesn't know. He screamed when we were with the nurse, then he was fine until the Dr came in. The Dr was not our normal pediatrician, but I loved that he saw Elliott was uncomfortable, and did the exam right on my lap. Don't get me wrong. I am totally "tough love mom". I think that sitting on the table and learning that it will be okay, is good for them. If the Dr would have preferred it that way, I would have had him on the table.

After we got home, Elliott and I played for a while, and cleaned house, but then he was losing his mind, and I knew it was nap time, even though it really wasn't. He went right down, and took his normal 2 1/2 hour nap, woke up, ate lunch, and then we went to get Ethan.

The boys had a photo shoot with Jaymee today (man I am lucky), so I got them ready to go, and off we went.

During the shoot, they were ridiculous. Elliott was swinging the hockey stick around, banging on the building, and Ethan WOULD NOT stop sticking his tongue through the gap in his teeth. They were driving me nuts! Jaymee brought Raigan, and I tried to keep her wrangled while Jaymee was shooting away. When the boys were done, Jaymee wanted to get a few pictures of Raigan in her super duper cute dress. Well, Raigan was less than cooperative, and me, being the awesome Aunt Mer that I am, showed her how to throw rocks into the puddles. Ooooops. It was over after that. She was totally into it. By the time we were getting ready to be done, Raigan was prancing around in her adorable pink shoes and cute dress, right in the puddle of water. Jaymee and I couldn't do anything but watch. So we did, and Jaymee took pictures. It was at this point we looked at each other and said "whatever." It was the perfect reminder that kids are who they are. Even if you dress them up, and put them in cute shoes.

So when I was driving home, I reflected on my day. Thanks to Raigan for reminding me that Elliott is who he is, and Ethan is who he is. Even if they are brothers, and they are both WAY TOO CUTE, they are not the same kid.
Elliott is wild. He is always on the go, always into everything, and always pushing the limits.
Ethan is a go with the flow kid, he loves all sports, and is a sponge when it comes to learning.
I never thought I could love them both so much. I didn't know there was so much love to give. I love them both for who they are and what they bring to our family. They are special people and will be whatever they want to be.  

1 comment:

  1. I yam what I yam and thats all that I yam.....Grandma

    ReplyDelete