Sunday, May 2, 2010

end of deployment

This was the last weekend that we had a Yellow Ribbon program as a family in Helena for Jason's post-deployment. We went up Friday night, and made it just in time for the kids to go to bed.

Saturday was filled (for Jason and I) with power point presentations, and way too much listening. It was possibly the longest, most boring, and information overloaded day ever. I still have a headache from the crappy lighting, and lack of fresh air. As soon as we were able, we got the kids, and left to have dinner. Elliott decided to make it almost impossible to be in public with him, so we hurried and finished and went back to the room to put him to bed. Ethan and I went to the pool, and Jason put Elliott down. An hour later, Ethan and I went back to the room, and found Elliott and Jason both sound asleep. It really was a very long day, and we were all out by 9:30. Lame, I know, but it felt good to be refreshed this morning.

Today was so much better. After breakfast, we went to the "Freedom Salute Ceremony". We got to all sit together, and all the soldiers received awards, and the families were also thanked for their support. Elliott had a hard time sitting still for 2 hours, but did well considering. Jason and I took turns keeping track of him.

A Daddy is never off duty.
This is Jason getting his awards from General Walsh.
He's proud of all of it. I even got a ribbon and a pin.  :)
And this is Jason's most prized possession. I thought he would have to give his life to receive a folded up flag, I'm so happy to have him and a flag.
It was nice to see our "military family" this weekend. We have become pretty close knit, and I am definitely going to miss seeing some of them. If I could, I would give an appreciation pin to all my friends, old and new, for getting us through this deployment. I probably could have done it alone, but I am so thankful I didn't have to. I feel like this was the official end to the deployment, and I feel a weight has been lifted off our family.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment