Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

We woke up to an absolutely gorgeous spring morning. Everyone got ready to go, and we headed to the cemetery for a Memorial Day Service. All of the headstones had a flag next to them, and I have to say, it took my breath away to walk amongst them. There are hundreds of them, and it doesn't even scratch the surface of the number of men and women who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
The boys were impatient while we waited for it to start, but they could have been worse.
Then we heard it. The bagpipes playing and heading toward us. I love the bagpipes. It didn't take long for the tears to well up in my eyes. All the service people standing around with flags, and "Amazing Grace" being played on the bagpipes. Yep, "Amazing Grace", it will get me every time, that and our National Anthem.  

Then Senator Baucus spoke, as did our congressman. The speech that spoke most to both Jason and I though, was from a Marine Captain. It was straight from the heart. At the end of his speech, he asked "What have you done to deserve their sacrifice?" Hmm. Well, what have I done? Something to think about for sure. Don't let their sacrifice be for nothing.
Then they did the gun salute. It was perfect timing. Elliott was about to melt, and then the guns went off. He was intrigued. After hanging the wreathes, "Taps" was played. Oh, another song that totally makes me cry.

Once it was all over, we came home and hung around the house. Jason works tonight, so it's me and the boys. Ethan is watching Game 2, Blackhawks vs. Flyers, and I thought I better post about today before I was ready for bed.

Back to normal tomorrow. It's Ethan's last week of Kindergarden. :(  I am so proud of him. I would like to gather as many congratulation cards for his graduation as possible, so if you would like to send one and need my address, let me know.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment